Wednesday 26 April 2017

Disabled Access Day at Barclays Bank in Sheffield - Gail

Gail
One Friday in March I went to Barclays Bank on the corner of Pinstone Street and Barkers Pool with Jane from SRSB as part of their Disabled Access Day.

We were warmly greeted by Stuart the Manager who introduced us to several members of staff. After an introduction by Jane she told them about SRSB and their role in supporting people with sight problems. I then spoke about what SRSB meant to me as a client.

The staff then all tried on the 'Sim Specs' which demonstrate what it is like to be visually impaired and asked lots of questions. The staff were very friendly and the atmosphere was very relaxed.

Next, Jane set up her stall, I volunteered for balloon blowing and Jane had also taken some equipment from the shop at SRSB.

Stuart spoke about their talking cash machines and as I have never tried one I quickly volunteered in trying this out. After a brief orientation of the cash machine Stuart handed me a pair of headphones and I was ready to start. After plugging the headphones in I was asked to press 5 to begin, asked to put my pin number in then asked to press 1 for a receipt or 2 if not needed, then asked to press 1 for £10, 2 for £20 etc.

After pressing the amount required to my great amazement the money popped out. I have not used a cash machine for 30 years and it was quite exhilarating. This simple task that sighted people take for granted really does seem like a great mystery to me as a blind person. I now feel confident in using this branch taking along my headphones and drawing out cash independently.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing story Gail. Thank you for sharing this with us. It just shows you what can be done when companies but the effort in to include everyone. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete